Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Rudolf Lippan rlippan at remotelinux.com
Fri Dec 9 07:58:34 GMT 2011

On Friday, December 09, 2011 at 02:23:22 AM, Avleen Vig wrote:

> Indeed. My impression of NaP was also that they're very good. Given that I
> know people there and have only heard good things (you know a company is
> good when people don't want to leave).
> So if you're a) good, and b) lucky and c) NaP understands the recruiter
> might have screwed you both, talk to them directly.

I emailed both NaP and Eliassen. Eliassen called me to confirm my
understanding.  I have not heard anything from NaP. I have contact
information for Eliassen.  Email me off list if you would like it.

My understanding is that NAP had a very hard time finding people in the
US---I know I passed their posts by before. I had serious concerns after
talking to them, and the recruiter kept me from jumping 3 or 4 times
during the process explaining, "They don't understand the US market".

I estimate that commission for my position alone would have probably
be around 54K, but I think it was probably worth it from what I saw of
NAP recruitment.

> At least here in the US, bypassing recruiters is the much preferred method.
> I don't know why they're still so heavily relied on in the UK.

I suspect that is because it adds about 30% to the cost of hiring someone;
however, if you can't attract people....

-r