Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 07:23:22 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 9 December 2011 06:54, Rudolf Lippan <rlippan at remotelinux.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, December 08, 2011 at 11:23:35 PM, Kieren Diment wrote:
> >> I suspect this is a symptom of the GFC rather than anything more
> sinister. I'm sorry you and your not-to-be colleagues appear to be friendly
> fire in this circumstance.
> >

> > I don't know if I buy that:
> >

> > 6 December 2011:
> >
> > "...Net-a-porte[sic] has decided not to build a team here
> > in the US. Apparently it's half the cost for them to build a team in the
> > UK vs. here in the US..."
> >

> > 7 December 2011:
> >    http://jobs.perl.org/job/14442

> > Company name:   Net-a-porter
> > Internal ID:    Junior Perl Developer - New Jersey
> > Location:       New York, NY, USA
>
> Your recruitment agent could well be telling porky pies NaP, are a
> pretty reputable outfit - anything you didnt hear directly from them
> I'd take with a pinch of salt, and I'd never turn down another offer
> without a written offer or signed contract, certainly not on the word
> of a recruiter.
>
> Could be worth re-applying directly to that ad, if you haven't just
> marked your own card by your posts about them to perl lists

Indeed. My impression of NaP was also that they're very good. Given that I
know people there and have only heard good things (you know a company is
good when people don't want to leave).
So if you're a) good, and b) lucky and c) NaP understands the recruiter
might have screwed you both, talk to them directly.

At least here in the US, bypassing recruiters is the much preferred method.
I don't know why they're still so heavily relied on in the UK.