Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 14:08:43 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Uri Guttman <uri at stemsystems.com> wrote:

> On 12/09/2011 02:58 AM, Rudolf Lippan wrote:
>
>>  On Friday, December 09, 2011 at 02:23:22 AM, Avleen Vig wrote:
>>

>   My understanding is that NAP had a very hard time finding people in the
>>  US---I know I passed their posts by before. I had serious concerns after
>>  talking to them, and the recruiter kept me from jumping 3 or 4 times
>>  during the process explaining, "They don't understand the US market".
>>
>>  I estimate that commission for my position alone would have probably
>>  be around 54K, but I think it was probably worth it from what I saw of
>>  NAP recruitment.
>>

> where did you get that figure? given the standard rate of 20% (and i
> know since i recruit) or even less, that would mean a salary of over
> 250k which is ridiculous but for a handful of perl hackers i know about
> (merlyn!).

Not hardly. Google regularly pays around this number for good programmers
(read: good, not exceptional) in New York.
This does include things like stock options etc, not just base pay.

And I don't know if merlyn is on this list (hi randal! long time no
speak!), but he's out in Portland last I heard, and wages there are a lot
lot lower than new york - but quality of life is arguably much, much higher
too :-)