Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Fri Dec 9 15:14:45 GMT 2011

On 12/09/2011 09:32 AM, Avleen Vig wrote:

> Not entirely true. Telecommuting doesnt erect barriers, it results in
> different barriers which need ti be handled differently.
>
> I worked for a distributed company for almost to years. Since then I've
> worked from home for almost 18 months. It's not more barriers, it's
> different ones.
>
> Eg in the office I sometimes hated having to find people, figure out where
> they are, maybe having to deal with them face to face when they're having a
> bad day. These things get better with telecommuting ime :)

i totally agree. i tell my clients that all the time when they are not
into allowing telecommuting. it is a management style issue, not a
technical one. i placed many in a pure virtual company in the US. they
are fully set up for telecommute and have the management experience to
do so. another client is 100% onsite. no exceptions. BUT someone i know
left there and was allowed to telecommute since he had knowledge and
experience they needed. and this was a very large powerhouse place
paying top salaries.

it is all over the map with rules on allowing telecommuting. some love
it as it opens up to more qualified employees. others hate it since they
don't have the management set up for it. some do both, onsite if you can
move or already live near their offices, telecommute if you have the
experience to do so. it is also on the employee's head to be able to
telecommute. some just don't have the discipline to deal with kids,
spouse and other household distractions.

one placement i made recently explicitly wanted to work onsite because
he was telecommuting for a while and wanted a solid reason to get out of
the house!! there are no fixed rules for this on either side. i have
seen all sorts of variations.

uri