Avleen Vig avleen at
Sat Dec 10 21:28:00 GMT 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Steve Mynott <steve at> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 09:11:14AM -0500, Avleen Vig typed:
> > US salaries (use payroll expense) is much higher than in the UK.
> > Where in London I would pay a programmer or sysadmin about £45k - £55k,
> in
> > New York I would pay at least $125k - $150k (about £78k - £93k).
> > This sounds really great!
> > Until you realise that it's pretty much a wash.
> What does the final line mean?

It means that in the end being paid more in the US or less in the UK
doesn't make a huge difference.

Which isn't *entirely* true, but generally it is.
If you're the kind of person who doesn't go out much, cooks at home a lot
and is otherwise a low-spender, it can make a HUGE difference.
But if you're young, single/a couple with no kids, like to buy big shiny
things for you nice downtime residence, then it's about the same in both