Telecommuting

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Dec 12 11:02:48 GMT 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:44, Abigail <abigail at abigail.be> wrote:
> Working from the office gives you more options: one can use
> IRC or some instant message system, *or* walk over and interact
> directly. Telecommuting takes away the latter option. Walking over
> also has some other advantages: often the question you want to ask
> can be answered by any of the team. Or, if the person isn't there,
> a nearby worker can inform you whether he's just out for a smoke, in a
> long meeting, or has already left for the day. Also, waving a clue-by-four
> isn't very effective in front of an IRC window.

There's another subtle (or not so subtle, depending how you perceive
it) that some people basically exhibit dual personality, in person &
online/IRC. I've experienced this to the point that some people I
simply would not engage with over IRC and wait until I was in the
office or come over to their desk.

Paul