Telecommuting

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Mon Dec 12 10:44:31 GMT 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:13:02AM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:06:14PM +0000, ian docherty wrote:
>
> > The small 'ping' of an IRC is less disruptive than a tap on the
> > shoulder and you can complete your current work before giving it, and
> > your co-developer, your full attention.
>
> Doesn't work so well when the IRC window is buried under twenty other
> windows because you're actually *working*.  At my last job (woo-hoo! I
> can say that about the BBC now that I am unemployed - by the way, I
> don't yet have any trousers on and had marmalade flavoured vodka and ice
> cream for breakfast. Once I've put some trousers on I'm going to go
> shopping for Lego) messages on IRC would go unnoticed for hours or
> even days.  Likewise emails, because people would disappear into their
> work.
>
> It's naive to think that if only you could find the right technology
> everything would be puppies and flowers and chocolate.
>
> It's hardly the end of the world to tell someone "I'll be with you in a
> few minutes".
>
> In fact, often it goes:
>
>   Me:         [code code code code code]
>   Supplicant: " Hey, Dave "
>   Me:         " gimme a moment "
>   Supplicant: " I'll put it on IRC "
>   Me:         [code code code code code cup of tea IRC]
>
> which instead of trying to solve a problem with Magic Technology is a
> blend of technology and primitive caveman grunting, which IME works
> better than either of 'em on their own.

Right.

Working from the office gives you more options: one can use
IRC or some instant message system, *or* walk over and interact
directly. Telecommuting takes away the latter option. Walking over
also has some other advantages: often the question you want to ask
can be answered by any of the team. Or, if the person isn't there,
a nearby worker can inform you whether he's just out for a smoke, in a
long meeting, or has already left for the day. Also, waving a clue-by-four
isn't very effective in front of an IRC window.

I telecommute 60% of the time (I reduced it from 80% to 60% a year ago).
And while I do more coding when I'm at home, I can do far more communication
when I'm in the office.

Abigail