Laptop Recommendation

Mallory van Achterberg stommepoes at stommepoes.nl
Tue Jan 24 14:22:54 GMT 2012

My 17" Acer TravelMate 7720G has been running Ubuntu(s) very happily
with no power management problems. No, 17" and 6 kilos or whatever
it is shouldn't be called "travel-" anything, but it's basically
good old Acers being fairly Linux friendly. Has also ATI Radeon card
for graphics, also no issues. Automatically reconnects to the network
after waking it up, and the battery lasted pretty close to the specs
back when it worked (after 4 years it finally died).

But that Optimus is a bitch, because it was listed on over half the
laptops I was looking at, specifically Acers :(

Re Macs: if their hardware cost the same as a PC's, and I could run
some distro of Linux I rather like... oh and then I'd need to replace
anywhere a cable plugs in or pay 15 euros for all these special cables
(a friend has a Mac Mini and this is an issue that always makes us raise
our eyebrows). Oh and that Mac stuff only liked to work with other Mac
stuff: hooking up a non-Mac monitor to the Mini meant Safari's RGB
"correction" (along with their known gamma problem) makes sites' colours
look like crap.  Apparently Safari assumes Mac monitor settings.

Getting a Mac is going into a whole different world. You have to be
prepared to go the whole way if you want to take a single step in.

-Mallory