Laptop Recommendation

Chris Carline chris at carline.org
Tue Jan 24 14:29:20 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Christopher Jones <c.jones at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> The best laptop hardware (hitting a sweet spot in terms of price,
>> performance and build quality) is made by Apple. Unfortunately, whilst
>> it's do-able, I do not recommend installing a non Apple OS on such
>> hardware as whilst it's possible, it is a decidedly non-optimal
>> solution that would place you amongst the Opus Dei of geeks.
>
> Surprises me that you say that, as I thought running Windows 7 on BootCamp
> was straightforward enough. And there has been an Ubuntu build specific for
> Intel Macs since they first came on the scene.

To be honest, I was thinking more of the free-OS support rather than
bootcamp (which does actually work very well). It's been a while since
I last looked, but suspend/resume and power management features were
barely implemented or absent. YMMV.

But my main argument was to run linux in a VM, as nature intended.

I cannot think of a good reason why