5 minimums for any perl script?

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Mon Jan 30 09:12:44 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 09:02:41PM +0000, Leo Lapworth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked what would be a good minimum to have as a coding police
> for a company that isn't focused on Perl, but uses it occasionally. So if
> Perl Best Practices is too much, and you could only have 5 rules for any
> perl script, what would they be?

In order of importance, and I only really care about the first 3:

1)  No lines exceeding 80 characters.

2)  Don't enfornce a coding policy upon others.

3)  Be consistent.

4)  Avoid doing any work that isn't required. (If you build a framework X
    just to be able to do a simple task, you've wasted a lot of resources)

5)  Name your variables usefully, and scope them appropriately
   (appropriate scope beats "use strict" in my book)

Abigail