The proper way to open()

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jan 31 14:29:07 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 01:42:05PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2012, at 05:18, Avleen Vig wrote:
> [...]
>> This is the problem with TMTOWTDI.
>> There should just be one way to do it. Then we wouldn't have this problem.
> If you want Python, you know where you can find it.

OK, on re-reading, that sounds a little bit grumpy.

TMTOWTDI is what gives us the richness and flexibility of Perl and CPAN.
Standardising on One True Way and being unforgiving of deviating from that
norm prevents innovation and renovation of the language. Would you really
still like to be writing in late-1990s Perl instead of Modern Perl?

Take TMTOWTDI away, and it's no longer Perl. Python is better than a
straightjacketed Perl.