Mason

Jérôme Étévé jerome.eteve at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 18:41:12 GMT 2012

On 29 February 2012 17:11, Leo Lapworth <leo at cuckoo.org> wrote:
> On 29 February 2012 16:10, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:
>> Quoting Christopher Jones <c.jones at ucl.ac.uk>:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a decent book to help get me up to speed with Mason but
>>> could only find "Embedding Perl in HTML with Mason" on Amazon - a paper
>>> edition from 2002 and a more recent 2010 edition on Kindle only.
>
> Mason 2 was released:  Feb 16, 2011 - I'm guessing (but don't know)
> that it changed quite a bit.
>
> Personally I use Plack + Template toolkit + Catalyst mostly.
>
> But not sure _why_ you want to learn Mason, if it's for an existing site then
> the book may be of use.

There's plenty of good reasons to use Mason (and it's latest Moosified
incarnation), but here's a few:

- Pages inherit from each other, and now it's got all the Moose power.

- It helps you to catch errors early and easily.

- You're not restricted to a mini-language that only (almost) make
sense if you're not a programmer. Unless you use Perl blocks.

- Because the code is Perl, you've got all the Perl goodness right
there for you, should you need to do some complex things (I'm talking
rendering only here, don't get me wrong :) ).

- It plays very well as a templating system only, which is probably
the way you want to use it those days. I'd agree the dispatcher part
of it would probably be better as a plugin for those who are really
allergic to other MVC's

Anyone advocating TT for the protection it provides against bad
practices should have a look at that:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Template-DBI/

J.

--