Setting Up PCs For Training

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Mon Jun 25 18:12:47 BST 2012

On 25/06/12 13:53, Dave Cross wrote:

> I know next to nothing about Strawberry Perl. But there must be a way to
> take an installation from one machine and copy it onto another. Even if
> it's a low-tech as copying the CPAN library directory.

There's a portable version that you can just drop into any directory you
like. It has a clickable shell (well, Dos cmd-prompt) which sets all the
paths properly. I've moved it + packages between machines just by
copying, but that presumably won't work between 32/64-bit machines.

Had to do some fiddling once to set up the right env-vars for a HTTP
proxy once too. Remember it as being straightforward enough once I
realised that was the problem and did some googling.

Oh, if you go the portable (or even if not) route chuck Notepad++ in too
- best light Windows editor I've used.

You could even get a bunch of 2GB usb sticks and let the class take
their installations home with them.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd