on-call rates

Bianca Gutu bianca.gutu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 10:11:13 BST 2012

I am actually in a similar situation, on call 24/7 every four weeks, for an
entire weekend.

At the time I started (and negociated the pay rate ), I had to actually
sign a consent form, because there is a regulation on how much you are
legally allowed to work.

I do work for an American company, but there may be something very similar
for UK. The angle here is that they can't push it on you and that you may
also be entitled to some free time, not just money, so you should be able
to negotiate quite high.

Here are some legal excerpts :

   1.

   Working Time Regulations (WTR): Employees are required to comply with
   the Working Time Regulations. Employees are required to have an
   uninterrupted rest period of not less than 11 consecutive hours in each 24
   hour period. They are also required to take an uninterrupted rest period of
   not less than 24 hours in each seven day period and one uninterrupted rest
   period of not less than 48 hours in each 14‐day period.

   Health Assessments and Night Work: Employees who normally work at least
   three (3) hours at night on most days of work may request a free health
   assessment before commencing night work and annually thereafter. Employees
   should contact Human Resources to make this request.