Brainbench perl test?

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Aug 28 19:46:02 BST 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Uri Guttman <uri at stemsystems.com> wrote:
> i also did it way back and didn't like it then. multiple choice tests in
> general suck for actual testing of real world skills and programming ones
> suck even more. no candidate i have reviewed in ages has ever mentioned
> brainbench nor has any client. so in my world it is a non-entity. i know of
> several take home tests from clients that i review or see the answers and
> they tell me much more than any 'cert' could do. so does reviewing of
> existing code samples. there is no reason to even consider a timed multiple
> choice test.

When I interviewed at the BBC they had me do Brainbench. It seemed
like a fair, reasonably challenging test. The BBC is a pretty decent
employer so I'd consider that a reason to do a timed multiple choice
test ;-)

>From an employer's side - it's practically no cost to them on top of
their existing recruitment efforts, and has a bunch of benefits
associated with involving an unconnected third party.

Paul