Brainbench perl test?

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Tue Aug 28 23:12:40 BST 2012

On 08/28/2012 05:15 PM, David Cantrell wrote:

> We would, of course, then go through candidates' code with them, talking
> about how they might improve it given more time, what other approaches
> they considered and so on.  Apparently my solution fucked with peoples'
> heads.  I blame MJD, because IIRC I'd just recently inhaled HOP.

that is my primary filtering technique. i review their sample code and
talk about its strengths and weaknesses, ways i would like to see it
improved, etc. HOW they react to that is a critical part of my review. a
couple have been so pissed they almost hung up on me. how dare i tell
them how to improve their code!! but most are very open to getting
reviews and we end up in good conversations about reasons why i said
that and other ways to do things, etc. a collegial attitude where they
can learn. even with a lower level coder, that attitude is a big win as
i can place them in the right slot knowing they will grow. also this
tells me how they think as they will explain why they did some coding
thing. most are very appreciative as they get a free review and
hopefully integrate my comments into their perl skills. after such an in
depth chat (30-60 mins or more), i usually know their perl skills well
enough to accurate convey that to my clients. this is why my candidates
and clients like my service. old fashioned matchmaking without automated
crap in the way. :)

thanx,

uri