Brainbench perl test?

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Sat Sep 1 08:19:39 BST 2012

Simon Wistow writes:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:15:27PM +0100, Dave Cantrell said:
>
> > For perl hiring, we had what I think was a great test.  And now that
> > they no longer exist, I can tell you what it was!
>
> Yahoo! Europe's was variations on this
>
> http://thegestalt.org/simon/yahoo_questions.txt

My experience of taking Yahoo!'s test in 2000 was:

* Yahoo! e-mail me the test.
* I reply with my answers within the allowed 48 hours.
* After a while of not hearing anything, I mail to check they received
  it.
* Yahoo! confirm that they did, and they'll be getting in touch about
  it.
* Somebody else offers me a job, which I accept without having heard
  back from Yahoo!

The last communication between us stands at Yahoo! saying they'll let me
know how I did on my test. I'm reasonably confident that I answered
enough questions correctly to be worth interviewing. After 12 years I'm
not holding out hope.

A year or so goes by, then:

* The company I work for runs Perl courses, and Yahoo! books one. I end
  up turning up to Yahoo!'s offices and training some of their Perl
  team, I think the team I applied to work for.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2