Can I get some advice on best way to start Perl Programming

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Fri Aug 31 22:50:47 BST 2012

On Friday, 31 August 2012 at 07:16, Rick Deller wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Rick!  Good to have you on the mailing list!  (If it's not too much trouble would you mind not reply to existing emails when starting a new thread - it makes life ugly for the web archives and for people using threaded web clients as the mail gets put in the wrong place.)  I think it's awesome that a recruiter is actually interested in learning some of the skills they are recruiting about.
> I have brought a couple of books on the subject which I'm reading through

A good start!  What books did you buy?  There are good and there are bad books…and it's important to get the right ones (or at least the good ones.)

Do you have any other programming experience in any other language?
> I'm very keen to learn more and how to do it.  Can anyone suggest more books or another way of doing it ?

I'm wondering if you found your way across to http://learn.perl.org which has a collection of books, some examples, links to all the documentation and more.

Do you have a programming environment set up (you know, Perl installed, an editor installed, etc, etc) or are you looking for any help with that too?  (If you don't it might be useful for you to tell us if you're using Windows or a Mac, or something else…)

Of course the best way to learn programming is to pick a (simple) problem and try to solve it.  And ask lots of questions.  There's the #perl-learn irc channel for interactive help.  In the worst case if you get stuck feel free to email me directly.

Mark.