Brainbench perl test?

Mr I cub4ucme at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 19:50:18 BST 2012

Mildly annoying response,

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Uri Guttman <uri at stemsystems.com> wrote:

> On 09/04/2012 08:03 AM, Mr I wrote:
>

>  The question does not allow you to assess whether the candidate is
>> freezing
>> due to their lack of knowledge in mathematics or in programming.
>>

> what math? this is trivial math. if you are a coder with such a limited
> exposure to the world to not be able to handle this (and you are given the
> formula!!), then you are not worth hiring. also exposure to fib is very
> very wide. you have to be living under a rock to not have heard of it.
>

>> It's equivalent to asking you to write a function ved(n, m) that
>> implements
>> the 16 sutras* and uses them to return the result. A task that maybe
>> easily
>> done by many an Indian programmer yet many in this group would struggle
>> with.
>>

> way off target. the fib solution is 2-3 lines in recursive and about the
> same in linear. not a lot of code or brain busting work.

The formula to each Vedic mathematics sutra also takes around 3 -5 line per
solution it's just you're not familiar with the mathematics involved.
You're kind of proving my point but understand that not everyone may see it.

However I could have been more precise in my example by explicitly naming a
sutra which would have been a better example.