Brainbench perl test?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 5 09:11:06 BST 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 09:01 +0200, Richard Foley wrote:
> > And besides, I don't think I'd really want to work with a programmer
> > who didn't know what the Fibonacci sequence is :-)
> >
> I'd rather work with a good programmer who can't answer your question slickly
> in the heat of an interview, (whatever clever question you think up during your
> coffee break while chatting with a group of people about how to think up the
> best interview question), than a bad programmer who impresses you with a
> predictable memory trick during an interview, (aren't we so cool because we
> know the same things as each other?)

That's fair generally however the question isn't particularly clever and
doesn't require you to know any memory trick at all. It's just a very
simple test to see if you can take a simple specification and turn it
into some kind of code with the added bonus of seeing whether the
candidate spots potentials issues with it.

As for not knowing what the Fibonacci sequence is I agree that it's not
a particularly good test but if it is specified as either of the two
questions that were suggested then it's irrelevant whether you recognise
and name the equation so long as you can do as asked surely.

Jason