25 Years of Perl

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Thu Nov 22 12:19:22 GMT 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:09:36PM +0000, Guinevere Nell wrote:
> On that subject, I recall that search.cpan.org sucked at the start and I'm
> not sure who fixed it (the search) and who maintained CPAN (and it's
> accumulating wonderful -- and sometimes silly -- modules) but yeah it's the
> heart of most development ... on the irc topic, will you be mentioning
> purl? I think she was around as far back at least as 19100, and I think she
> knows as much about Perl's history as any of us..

I do remember Kevin giving us a tour of CMU, which included the location
of the box that was running purl. This was during one of the first YAPCs,
so indeed no later than 19100.

A community thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: conference auctions.
(Isn't London.pm still "suffering" from the outcome of an auction in 2001?)

Regards,

Abigail