25 Years of Perl

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Thu Nov 22 18:43:26 GMT 2012

On 11/22/2012 12:17 PM, Abigail wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:57:52AM -0500, Uri Guttman wrote:
>>
>> the first yapc in pitt/cmu run by lenzo was in the red. during the
>> banquet we passed around a (real) hat). we collected over $2k to cover
>> the shortage.
>

> Actually, the collection was during Kevins closing remarks. The $2k was
> collected before Kevin was finished with his talk.

right. we learned about the shortage from his remarks. he didn't ask for
the passing of the hat, it just happened. i helped to count the loot and
take my piece of the action! :)

i don't think any other yapc::na was ever under water. some were close
to break even. now tpf backs yapc's costs so there should never be a hat
passing. also there were no sponsors back then which is a major income
for yapc now.

uri