25 Years of Perl

David H. Adler dha at panix.com
Sun Nov 25 04:40:27 GMT 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 01:19:22PM +0100, Abigail wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:09:36PM +0000, Guinevere Nell wrote:
> > On that subject, I recall that search.cpan.org sucked at the start and I'm
> > not sure who fixed it (the search) and who maintained CPAN (and it's
> > accumulating wonderful -- and sometimes silly -- modules) but yeah it's the
> > heart of most development ... on the irc topic, will you be mentioning
> > purl? I think she was around as far back at least as 19100, and I think she
> > knows as much about Perl's history as any of us..
>

> I do remember Kevin giving us a tour of CMU, which included the location
> of the box that was running purl. This was during one of the first YAPCs,
> so indeed no later than 19100.

I'm fairly sure it was the first YAPC. In fact, in the same room, there
were a bunch of some kind of memory cartridges that Kevin was getting
rid of, so I grabbed one, and it's still somewhere in my apartment.

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha at panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
The Teletubbies are coming to America.