Perl outreach

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:11:56 GMT 2012

What with having Copious Free Time recently, I've been attending
a fair few start-up and online tech meetups. They all have one thing
in common: people turn their noses up at perl. Last week at Hacker
News Network, among a turnout of 500 people, I saw one other known
perlmonger. At AngelHack a few weeks ago, among a similar turnout,
I suspect I was the only person knocking up a prototype in perl.

And we wonder in a sea of PHP and Rails why no-one registers perl
as a good solution.

We may have the best tools in the business but that's no help if we
don't get out there and demonstrate our technologies.

Yes, LPW was great, but where, outside our fishbowl, is perl showing
what it can do and how easily it can do it?

Does no-one else get the urge to get out there and see what mad
problems need solving?