Perl outreach

andrew-perl08@mail.black1.org.uk andrew-perl08 at mail.black1.org.uk
Mon Nov 26 11:49:27 GMT 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:11:56AM +0000, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> What with having Copious Free Time recently, I've been attending
> a fair few start-up and online tech meetups. They all have one thing
> in common: people turn their noses up at perl.

Can I make an analogy. I have spent a lot of time working on VMS. In theory I still regard it as a good OS but I don't think there is much work in it. People percieve VMS as running on VAXes and thefore old hat.
In the same way there is a perception that Perl goes back to the .com era and Matt's script archive.

Maybe the analogy isnt perfect but it helped me...