Perl outreach

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 13:12:21 GMT 2012

There are a number of issues here:

1. Things like mod_php and php-fpm make it really easy and lightweight
to deploy PHP to existing systems. There are packages for every *nix
OS that contain these and they're trivial to install. I believe the
barrier to entry with perl is higher, which makes it less appealing.
Likewise, RoR is fairly easy to get going, easier than Perl I would say.

2. While perl *is* used for web stuff, it's not a language made *for*
web stuff. It's a swiss army knife. People don't see this as a
positive. I think it's partly why Python/Django haven't really taken
off. They have their place, but they won't ever made a dent in PHP or
RoR.

3. TMTOWTDI has a huge downside: consistency. Having spoken to
<counts....> 5 CTOs at big (>500 employees) companies in the last few
years about this very thing, the answer is always the same:
Perl's just too messy. We don't want TMTOWTDI, we just want one way to do it.
FWIW, these were all web companies and not my current employer.

4. It's easier to find PHP/Ruby developers than Perl developers.
Lowest common denominator approach.