Kindle Fire

Mallory van Achterberg stommepoes at stommepoes.nl
Thu Nov 29 19:37:12 GMT 2012

Kindles, watch out.

http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/outlawed-by-amazon-drm/

This is why people crack DRM: to prevent Amazon from stealing your
books you've paid for. Though you are in the UK which makes a world
of difference, but I don't know where this partner of a friend lives.

Since I follow the blind and low vision groups, all I hear is the
complaining that the Kindle is pretty much the only major e-reader
that doesn't work with VoiceOver (the screen reader that comes with
OSX/iOS). So this also doesn't affect you (I don't think), but to
me these two things give Amazon and Kindles a negative light that
I haven't heard of with Nexus.

Things like weight and how the partner likes to read may factor in
(do they like holding a book up with one hand? or is two normally
used? Would they be bothered by the UI or is it so good they wouldn't
even notice it?) more than anything else.

-Mallory