PHP "community"

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Thu Jan 17 11:21:25 GMT 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 03:08:39PM +0000, gvim wrote:
> PHP UK (22nd Feb.): £380
> London Perl Workshop: £0

With airfare, hotel and dinner, my visits to LWP can easily
exceed 380 pounds. (Yeah, I know, it *can* be done in less)

And for YAPC::* visits, conference fees are dwarved by transportation
costs and hotel fees. I'm pretty sure there are quite a number of people
that will have had a poor conference if their bar tab was less than the
conference fee.

Low conference fees are really useful if you're aiming at the local
market, and aiming for young people at the start of their career.

That wasn't the Perl conference demographic back in 1999 when the first
YAPCs and workshops started, and it hasn't changed much since.

And just in case there's anyone saying "but I'm stuck in a low paid job
and I can't afford paying a conference fee", I've a couple of dozen job
positions we'd like to fill this quarter. Contact me.

Abigail