PHP "community"

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu Jan 17 19:11:02 GMT 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:35:28AM +0000, Greg McCarroll said:
> And that tradition has stuck and influenced LPW, and it isn't just for
> moral reasons alone - if you run an event where nobody is profiting
> you tend to get the goodwill of groups and people like Westminster
> University (who have supported other open source events) and companies
> like O'Reilly - apologies for skipping the full list of sponsors.

There's also another very good reason the LPW was free ... it was a lot
easier that way.

No need to set up a separate bank account, being free manages
expectations (no coffee, food, tshirts or wifi - coffee and food
potentially bringing extra health and safety regulation).

Interestingly I did get people asking that it be more expensive to make
it easier to justify to their bosses. Particularly at banking
institutions.

One way I got round that was to essentially sell them a "Platinum
Sponsorship" deal or some other shennanigans ... the company "sponsors"
for say 500 pounds, that goes straight behind the bar for the post
conference social and as a reward for sponsoring the company gets 5 free
places.

Another thing we did was to get three banks to bring over a well known
"Face" from the community. Each of the banks paid for a day of training
and then the face did a free talk at LPW.

We also all chipped in and paid for someone to come over once.

I started writing up some thoughts about free conferences here many
years ago

http://thegestalt.org/simon/guerilla_conference_organising.txt

never really finished them though.