Raising Perl awareness on Tiobe + Wikipedia, etc.

Mallory van Achterberg stommepoes at stommepoes.nl
Thu Mar 21 10:47:44 GMT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 09:17:14AM +0000, James Laver wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2013, at 08:08, Mallory van Achterberg <stommepoes at stommepoes.nl> wrote:
>
> > However Javascript, while starting out lacking a lot, today has filled
> > in many of the gaps. It never fixed its basic retardation, but
> > libraries exist to fix it.
>
> JavaScript is an implementation detail of jQuery*. If something similar existed to make non-DOM JS less painful, perhaps I wouldn't despise node.js so much.
>
> /j
> * oh of course I have a list of rants about jQuery, glad you asked. Let's start with position:relative being assumed when you do .show(). Among *many* others. Wow, it really is like perl.

Ah, jQuery, something I try to avoid except when I can't.
http://www.doxdesk.com/updates/2009.html#u20091116-jquery

Some more rants to add to your list. I was unhappy to discover
that, since all my DOM stuff was already in jQuery objects, I
no longer even had the option of stuff like input.checked.

I won't deny lots of things are easier, they're just a whole lot
bigger.

So there ends up being lots of plain Javascript in my jQuery
when $work says "here we do jQuery". Instead of, say, jQuip.

-Mallory