Alternative sources of Perl programmers

Mark Stringer mark at repixl.com
Tue May 14 10:18:15 BST 2013

We sent out an Intern Wanted posting to heads of careers departments at
various colleges and Unis. This was filtered through to the students and
we had a number of promising looking applicants contact us. We're a
startup, no track record, tiny budget, no benefits and all we had to our
credit was wfh and flexitime. We had an intern signed in 4 days, and our
pick from a number of decent looking ones.

Sure, we're having to train him up a bit, but overall he's proving
beneficial.

With a decent sized budget for a full time employee, I'd have thought
it'd be easy to get a high standard of applicant. They may not be
experienced in Perl, but some experienced developers are willing to
cross-train IME.

Also worth pointing out that now is about the best time to be finding
Uni/College leavers... they're all wondering what they're going to be
doing come June/July.

As for wfh, I've done it for about 10 years now. One previous employer
operated solely on this basis. Staff turnover was minimal. It
occasionally didn't work out due to distractions/it not being a suitable
environment for some, but by and large, it seems to work IME.

Cheers

Mark