Alternative sources of Perl programmers

Paul Weaver paul.weaver.uk at googlemail.com
Wed May 15 11:48:50 BST 2013

I work in a variety of offices around the world. This year my most frequent office has been Jerusalem, about 12 days there, and a couple more up the road in Ramallah and a bit further in Gaza, but I've been to another 8 or 9 on top of that.

I'm almost up to 70,000 miles this year, and on my 51st flight of the year while I write this.

When I'm not abroad my commute is down stairs into the study.

My effective line manager has an insane schedule. He's in Moscow this week, Delhi next week, Singapore after that then Bangkok. This helps a lot, as my real line manager hasn't got a clue about the stresses of (economy class) travel.

I'm hoping to be Europe bound for the next 2 weeks, with just day trips or maybe an single overnight, but Delhi, Joburg, sydney, Jakarta, shanghai, new york, kabul, washington and Singapore all need my attention in the next few months.

I'm looking forward to my next long haul day flight as I'll get a change to get my teeth into writing some new code (Perl of course). The lack of distraction from email and phones is really useful, but it makes network development a bit harder, and I get funny looks when I string two laptops together on the plane!