Random Perl Content

Iain C Docherty londonperlmongers at iandocherty.com
Sun May 19 01:06:08 BST 2013

When looking for answers to these questions, I always get out my
 'Microprocessor programming for computer hobbyists (1977)' which is
invaluable.

A linear congruential generator (or generators) is what you need to
generate 'pseudo-random' numbers.

X = (A*X + C) Mod M;

where A, C and M are 'carefully chosen' constants.

try it with  X = (5 * X + 3) MOD 8

it generates the sequence 0, 3, 2, 5, 4, 7, 6, 1 ...

the following rules are used to chose the constants (assuming M is a power
of 2)

1) A MOD 8 = 5
2) When A is written in binary the digits should not show any simple
pattern, avoid large blocks of 0 or 1. (note, in binary rule 1 has the
rightmost (LS) digits of 101)
3) C should be an odd number near

M*(1 - 1/root(3))/2

For M = 2**16 this works out to be 13849, for M=2**32 it is 907633385

so, using these rules you could define a few generators with different
values for A, e.g.

A = 58653 = 1110010100011101B
C = 13849
M = 65536