Which modules do you "allow" yourself to use for production?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 12:43:05 BST 2013

On 23/07/13 11:03, Abigail wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:39:33PM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
>>
>> While I reckon prototyping is useful, you should be aware that when
>> dealing with people that have Pound note watermarks etched on their
>> glasses, prototypes have a habit of becoming (the rump of) "production"
>> code. This, IMO, is usually a recipe for failure and if not that, then
>> significant engineering cost later on. Which is not to say that your
>> partner is such a person.
>

> I think that's short sighted, and IMO, you're making a classical mistake.
>

> Doing extra work now in order to save costs later is a luxury problem.
> Your first worry should go to actually being alive later on. When you're
> starting up, your resources are limited, the work that needs to be done
> ASAP is huge, and your income is nil.

I sometimes express myself too forcefully. I am trying to suggest that
there is a balance to be struck. Further more, I believe that a
successful developer does this (after a while :-) automatically. I have
personally been in situations where I have had to come in to
"productionise" prototypes that had become the product but demand
overwhelmed that solution. If I had not been successful, then the
business(es) would have failed.

A prototype is just that. It is a tool for thinking, it may become
something that someone can sell, but that is just a useful asset.

Dirk