Which modules do you "allow" yourself to use for production?

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Tue Jul 23 13:22:14 BST 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:43:05PM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> On 23/07/13 11:03, Abigail wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:39:33PM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
>>>
>>> While I reckon prototyping is useful, you should be aware that when
>>> dealing with people that have Pound note watermarks etched on their
>>> glasses, prototypes have a habit of becoming (the rump of) "production"
>>> code. This, IMO, is usually a recipe for failure and if not that, then
>>> significant engineering cost later on. Which is not to say that your
>>> partner is such a person.
>>

>> I think that's short sighted, and IMO, you're making a classical mistake.
>>

>> Doing extra work now in order to save costs later is a luxury problem.
>> Your first worry should go to actually being alive later on. When you're
>> starting up, your resources are limited, the work that needs to be done
>> ASAP is huge, and your income is nil.
>>

> I sometimes express myself too forcefully. I am trying to suggest that
> there is a balance to be struck. Further more, I believe that a
> successful developer does this (after a while :-) automatically.

Then there aren't many succesful developers.... I've found it very hard
to convince people that "thou shalt not create technical debt" shouldn't
be taken as a dogma. I've given talks at various (Perl) conferences where
three quarters of the audience would have thrown rotten tomatoes at me
if they had some.

In my experience, most developers don't have much of a business sense,
and instead of acknowledging that, they look down upon people whose
specialty it is.

Abigail