filesystems for external drivesx

Kent Fredric kentfredric at
Fri Nov 1 23:19:59 GMT 2013

On 2 November 2013 02:30, Nicholas Clark <nick at> wrote:

> 1) I can mount NTFS read/write on Linux. But is there any good way on Linux
>    to correctly copy files from one NTFS file system to another, preserving
>    everything? (specifically Alternate Data Streams, which I see that I
> have
>    here, when I mount said file system read-only on OS X)
2) Is there any sane choice of file system to use which will mount
> read/write
>    on both Linux and OS X, and support at least basic POSIX features?
>    (ownership, permissions, hard links) (on Snow Leopard, if it matters)
> 3) Is there any Linux equivalent to OS X sparse bundles?
>    (And if the answer to that is yes, I guess it mostly doesn't matter, as
> one
>    just formats the disk as FAT32, and makes images on top of it)

NTFS3G Does support translation of ACLS and ADS, just might require special
mount configuration to get it.

Given the right mount flags, and the right parameters to rsync, you should
be able to perform a disk-to-disk copy preserving most things. I've just
not used it sufficiently to know if it is comprehensive.