filesystems for external drivesx

William Blunn bill+london.pm at blunn.org
Fri Nov 1 17:50:04 GMT 2013

I bought a "Samsung" M3 1TB USB3 HDD for £54.40. (It was, and is, the
top search hit on Amazon for "external hard drive".)

On the box it pointed me at URL where I could download a free NTFS
driver for OSX.

Turns out it was a restricted version of Paragon NTFS for Mac which only
works for certain models of external hard drive.

It worked OK for me on an OS X 10.7. (I no longer have any OS X machines.)

I have since used the same drive with Windows and Linux and it all seems
to work.

Though I can't speak for POSIX permissions etc. (I don't tend to bother
with permissions on external devices.)

Regards,

Bill