filesystems for external drivesx

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Fri Nov 1 17:24:57 GMT 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org> wrote:

> Dear knowledgeable hive mind,
>
> 1) I can mount NTFS read/write on Linux. But is there any good way on Linux
>    to correctly copy files from one NTFS file system to another, preserving
>    everything? (specifically Alternate Data Streams, which I see that I have
>    here, when I mount said file system read-only on OS X)
> 2) Is there any sane choice of file system to use which will mount read/write
>    on both Linux and OS X, and support at least basic POSIX features?
>    (ownership, permissions, hard links) (on Snow Leopard, if it matters)

Personally, I'd just drop the $40 and get this,

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/

Or you can go the free route (YMMV), http://osxfuse.github.io

Yet another option that's worked for me in the past is running a Linux
VM and sharing it over Samba. Not as painful/unreliable as I was
expecting.

> 3) Is there any Linux equivalent to OS X sparse bundles?
>    (And if the answer to that is yes, I guess it mostly doesn't matter, as one
>    just formats the disk as FAT32, and makes images on top of it)

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/664 - worth a shot?

Paul