Recommended IDE...?

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Fri Jan 17 10:37:04 GMT 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:18:14AM -0000, Andrew wrote:
> Looking to try using an Integrated Development Environment.
> Is there an industry standard everyone uses

No.

>                                             and I should get familiar with,
> or will any do?

I guess for any "ide" (for whatever definition of ide), there is at least
someone who uses it happily.

> My previous experience is with NotePad and TextWrangler.
> I've Windows98SE and OSX 10.5.8 [Leopard] ;-), and use both in tandem via a
> KVM switch, XD.

Use whatever *YOU* feel most comformtable/efficient with. Don't let
others make the decision for you.

Some people prefer to learn a different tool for every
language/company/platform they work with. Others just learn to use
something generic, and use it for everything.

I started with 'vi' 29 years ago, and a few years later, I added
X-windows and switched to a vi-lookalike as editor. And I'm still
using that, regardless of the programming language (or writing email,
creating LaTeX documents, or something else). And over the years, I've
been able to use that IDE on Solaris, HP-UX, SGI, Cygwin, AIX, a handful
of flavours of Linux, and MacOS X. I doubt it's an industry standard,
and many will not even call "vi + xterms" to be and IDE, but it works
for me. And if I switch to a different project, I spend zero time learning
a new IDE.

Abigail