Recommended IDE...?

James Laver james.laver at
Fri Jan 17 10:50:31 GMT 2014

On 17 Jan 2014, at 10:18, Andrew < at> wrote:

> Looking to try using an Integrated Development Environment.
> Is there an industry standard everyone uses and I should get familiar with,
> or will any do?
> My previous experience is with NotePad and TextWrangler.
> I've Windows98SE and OSX 10.5.8 [Leopard] ;-), and use both in tandem via a
> KVM switch, XD.

It’s rather a personal choice. If you’re writing Perl, I don’t think you need anything other than a text editor. Komodo IDE has a lovely interface for debugging though.

My emacs configuration is quite IDE-like in many respects. I expect many people have VIM configs that do more for you as well.

In terms of actual IDEs, the standard is eclipse, I prefer Komodo.

It really is intensely personal. Try a few.