Recommended IDE...?

Kent Fredric kentfredric at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 17:20:14 GMT 2014

On 18 January 2014 05:59, Paul Makepeace <paulm at paulm.com> wrote:

> The rest of your answer and several others in this thread (not to be
> combative) is pretty much the I'm Not Familiar With IDEs So I'm Going
> To Be Dismissive of Them and Rationalize Why They Suck Anti-Pattern.

Not true. I have used IDE's in the past. And I've done Java work in the
past. And by proxy of my rant, I explain there is no alternative *in java*

Just for "perl" work, Java-style'd IDEs seem to be ineffective. At least
for me. And I'm not saying "don't use one", go ahead, they just "don't work
for me".

I do know people are happy with Komodo, and I do know people are happy with
Padre, and if that's what you're looking for, try them out.

I guess my point was that people may also be unaware of features available
in non-java-style IDE's, which do what they're looking for.

Basically, I'm not saying you should be using "an IDE" or "An advanced
IDE-like text editor", simply to clarify the set of features you're looking
for, so that we may more objectively provide tools that meet those feature
set requirements.

For instance, if you're looking for interactive re-factoring and
replacement tools like Eclipse has, then I don't know of anything
comparable for Perl, and if you feel you need that, then do continue to
explore java-style IDEs.

However, if your featureset requirements can be satisified with a well
tailored editor, that may be a good alternative too.

--
Kent