Recommended IDE...?

Steve Mynott steve.mynott at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 10:58:30 GMT 2014

On 18 January 2014 10:31, Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org> wrote:
> On 18/01/2014 02:48, William Blunn wrote:
>>
>> no-administrator-access
>

> "I don't trust you".
>
>> Windows
>

> "I don't like you".
>
> If you're trying to develop software in such a hostile environment, no
> amount of support from the editor is going to help you.

Welcome to 2014.  I work in the same environment as do the majority of
people who work commercially in large companies as opposed to hobbyist
programmers at home.

To me a locked down Windows desktop without local admin access is no
obstacle since all I need is a browser (Firefox portable) and SSH
client (putty) to access a UNIX system where I do have root access.

I've even successfully ran a Linux guest on QEMU on a Windows host
without local admin access.  Working around these restrictions can
even be fun.

I have developed Perl code on and targeted at Windows but don't
believe it's a common use case.

Anyway why are we still arguing about paintbrushes rather than
building a new bike shed to replace the one which is showing signs of
collapse?