Recommended IDE...?

Steve Mynott steve.mynott at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 16:35:21 GMT 2014

On 18 January 2014 16:14, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 08:38:43AM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Dave Cross <dave at mag-sol.com> wrote:
>>> Every few years I try installing Eclipse and EPIC and then look on appalled
>>> as my machine grinds to a halt.
>> Trade in your gold cat for a computer with an SSD drive. It's night & day
>> with Eclipse.
>
> This here machine *has* an SSD, but because it has a mere two cores and 8GB of
> RAM, Eclipse is still hateful.

The last time I tried it (probably 3 years ago so maybe their defaults
are now changed?) -- at that time anyway when I gave it more memory on
startup it seemed to perform a little better.

-Xms512m -Xmx1024m in eclipse.ini

(or double or bump even higher).

But I abandoned it when I discovered it couldn't substitute 2000 lines
in any reasonable time on a recent Dual Core Thinkpad
(unlike vim or emacs).

It's unlikely to be useable or even runnable on the Original Poster's
Windows 98 box.