wide character issue with dancer/plack etc

Bob MacCallum uncoolbob at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:15:14 BST 2014

Hello,

Does anyone know why I suddenly need

charset: UTF-8

in my Dancer (v1) config.yml to avoid "wide character" warnings/errors in
my Pg->DBIC->Dancer->JSON web service/app?

I have previously deployed this code on SUSE, Centos and RHEL and have now
run into problems with the latest RHEL deployment.  As far as I can tell,
locale and encoding configs seem to be the same for Linux and Postgres
(including the encoding settings of each individual database) as the last
successful Centos install.

I've fixed the problem but it would be nice to know exactly what I fixed...

cheers,
Bob.