Deploying perl code

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:15:18 BST 2014

On 25 Jul 2014, at 09:40, mascip <mascip at gmail.com> wrote:

> and the idempotence: you can run a playbook as many times as you like, it should
> have just the same effect as running it once (true for most Ansible things).

That’s in stark contrast to my experiences. I found ansible requires you to think about the side effects of everything so that you can write idempotent code. Where the default puppet library and constraint resolution mode of thinking basically gives you the idempotence for free, ansible pushes the responsibility back to the developer. Chef is even worse at this.

Without idempotence for free, the only compelling reason to use it over a shell script is the reusable roles.

James