Deploying perl code

Alex Balhatchet kaoru at slackwise.net
Fri Jul 25 09:16:23 BST 2014

Hey,

We're in a similar boat to Leo for our use of Puppet - used to manage stuff
in /etc/ and the general Debian packages we have installed - but mostly we
build our own. We have an /opt/lokku/pkgs which contains our own Perl,
Apache, Percona DB, node.js, etc. We manage /opt/lokku/bin with swpkg - old
school technology but it works ;-)

For distributing code we just push out tarballs, untar them, flip a symlink
and restart services. It's shell scripts with the distribute being based on
rdist. We build the tarball with the 'git-archive' command.

And to throw some even more ancient tech in there we use wigwam framework
for managing roles (environment variables and service lists per role) and
services (stop, start, restart, etc.)

I'm not proud of it, but we launch multiple times a day so clearly it works.

- Alex