Deploying perl code

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:11:12 BST 2014

On 25 Jul 2014, at 08:52, Ben Tisdall <ben at tisdall.de> wrote:

> However, I would urge you to spend a day each investigating Ansible &
> SaltStack, the latter in salt-ssh mode if you want to make a direct
> comparison. Both of the aforementioned tools do ad-hoc remote
> execution, task orchestration and configuration management.

Ansible I do like for the most part, but there are a few sharp edges. I don’t think it was usable up until they put out 1.3 (was it 1.3? it’s been a while since i’ve written a playbook) which added a bunch of useful stuff in the standard library — I was running out of git master for ages. I don’t think it’s the right solution for this case, though.

Salt: just no. Really no. I’m really surprised to see a recommendation for it, because it’s a terrible piece of software.

James