Open/Free BSD users -- help needed to fix Test::PostgreSQL

Toby Wintermute tjc at wintrmute.net
Mon Aug 11 07:36:25 BST 2014

On 11 August 2014 16:21, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

>>> Why the heck would people put "bin" stuff under a *lib* directory?
>>> That's just... insane.
>
> Toby> Well, you can have multiple versions installed at once that way. Then
> Toby> /usr/bin/ contains scripts that pass control to the appropriate
> Toby> version binary based upon environment variables.
>
> Yeah, but lib is for ... libraries.  Not bins.

*throws hands in air* I'm not trying to defend the concept! you'd have
to ask the Debian developers what they were thinking.

> Also, picking bins based on env is about as silly as writing
> "#!/usr/bin/env perl".  *My* env is not necessarily *yours*.  Put the
> right path there, please.

Maybe, but you have to admit that it is handy to have all the
different postgres instances (on varying ports and PG versions) all
listed and managed by single commands. (On Debian/Ubuntu boxes, there
are meta commands that operate over all the instances, which I imagine
is why they are split out of the path and then proxied back in)