Dear Dr Who experts...

David H. Adler dha at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 18:53:01 BST 2014

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 11:19:04AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Dear Dr Who experts (I'm sure that there are many here)...
>
> IIRC there's a scene in an episode of Dr Who (in Tom Baker's time) where
> the Doctor escapes by climbing up through a hatch in the TARDIS ceiling,
> calling down a one liner to the Daleks stuck below just before he closes it
>
> 1) Am I remembering this correctly?
Almost. It's not the TARDIS, it's an airshaft on Skaro. It's in Destiny
of the Daleks.

> 2) If so, is a clip of this online somewhere, in an easily linkable form? *

That, I Don't know.

> Further, my understanding is that in the more recent episodes, the Daleks
> have figured out how to overcome their previous inability to cope with
> stairs, ladders, etc, uttering "levitate" before doing exactly that.

If memory serves, they could deal with things like stairs in earlier
days, but by Destiny, it had become received wisdom that they couldn't.
Also, far be it from script editor Douglas Adams to pass up a quick
joke.

By Remembrance of the Daleks, they were doing stairs again. It's rather
more impressive since the 2005 series.

> 3) Is there a representative clip of this online?

Probably, but maybe not in a way that would please Auntie.

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha at panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not