Game over. We lost. Nothing to see here, move along.

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:59:04 GMT 2005

On 11/18/05, Graham Seaman <graham at theseamans.net> wrote:
> Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
> >I just had a dangerous thought:
> >
> >What if the next Web Frameworks evening took a standard problem and
> >showed how to solve it using each framework?
> >

> That would exactly not solve one of the problems, which is: given that
> there are multiple frameworks around, what is the different focus of
> each one? After last night, I have some feeling that I might want to go
> for Django if setting up a community site or a newspaper (but maybe not
> a shop), Rails if I have an application I need to set up very quickly,
> but where my data is likely to be simple and not need too many joins to
> fetch from the database, Catalyst if I want total flexibility but don't
> mind spending time learning about a lot of modules by different authors.
> But why might I want to use maypole and not catalyst? (or vice versa)?

I'd be interested in that too. Just because I maintain maypole doesn't
mean I want to use it for everything. Currently I am moving a bespoke
mod_perl shop to it and haven't had much trouble (sticking to exactly
the same urls as before is the only bit that requires much thought).
I've also been doing a job site using it and it worked very nicely for
that, although that is greenfield development so my choice of schema,
db, etc.

If I was working with a complex schema already in place, I might
choose catalyst over maypole, even if only to use it's existing
DBIx::Class support (should have that in maypole 2.12 next spring) and
greater flexibility. Lathos may consider the latter point arguable,
but then he still uses and knows maypole more than me.

> To show that kind of thing, you'd want each framework to take an example
> of the kind of application  it is best at and show how it can be
> implemented.

I'm hoping we'll have a few more of these soon. There are already a
selection of production sites using each if you know where to look.
Hopefully we'll have more to show for each soon. In fact I think that
could be strong point over django and rails - some impressive real
world production sites and applications rather than simple examples
and toy stuff. (basecamp and signal37 are certainly impressive real
world production sites, but I haven't seen many others in any
framework)

A.